Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Remember September 11, 2001


I figured that I normally write abotu celebs and whats going on with reality tv. But today I wanted to write about 9/11 because today we are remembering this day and it's 10th anniversary. I think today everyone took a moment to think about the wounded, fallen, and families that were affected by this tragic day. This is something that will be written about in history books for our kids to learn about in the later years.

When this day comes around I always think about where I was on 9/11/01. I was in high school and there was only one section of the high school that had cable. I was in history class when people started running around asking for the social studies teachers to turn on thier tvs. They were showing footage of the twin towers and what had happened. Soon after that we saw the plane go into the pentagon. My mom at the time was working at the pentagon so I started freaking out. We were released from school early and my mom was there to greet me when I got home...thank god. It was an awful day that I will never forget. People were freaking out that had parents that worked in the pentagon, but they couldn't get ahold of them. I remembered people borrowing cell phones and getting nothing but busy signals since the whole world was trying to dial out. It was crazy to think a terrorist act was hit so close to home and I hope it never happens again.

Thinking about the people in the twin towers that were just typing on their computers, and then had a plane come in the window just makes me cringe. It is nothing you would ever expect...and so many firefighters went in to help all of these people in trouble, they also lost their lives. People just gave up on their lives, they jumped out of the windows knowing that their was nothing else they could do....they were going to die. There was a photo that was released call the "Falling Man." This picture isn't great to look at, but it because iconic of what people were feeling that day. They had no hope, no where to go.



We also remember the people who were on United 93. Some brave men and women stood up to terrorist to try and keep people alive, the plane crashed and many people lost their lives. It is crazy to think that you think you are just taking a flight to go see people or on a business trip, not expecting it to be hijacked by terrorists and then ending up dead.

Here is a picture of the ground zero memorial in new york city....


Here is a picture of the pentagon memorial...




I didn't have too much to type about today, but I figured this was something that everyone was thinking about. 10 years ago our nation was turned upside down, and that's something that will live with us for the rest of our lives. Thank you to everyone who worked on this day to help save lives, and the fallen people, we will never forget.

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

No comments:

Post a Comment